Laraship vs. Laravel Nova
Laravel Team has recently released Laravel Nova which is an administration Panel for Nova, in this article we will do a comparison between Laraship and Laravel Nova.
What’s Laravel Nova?
Laravel Nova is the administration dashboard created by the team behind Laravel, it has been introduced late 2018 to build administrative dashboards for your apps.
Laravel Nova Features:
- Resource Management It supports all Eloquent relationships including pivot tables.
- Actions: Actions are PHP tasks that you can run against a resource or batch of resources. queued actions.
- Filters: implement custom filters for your resource indexes to offer your users quick glances at different segments of your data.
- Authorization: Nova is beautifully integrated with Laravel’s existing authorization policies. Let your Nova resources automatically leverage your existing application policies to determine a user’s abilities. Fine-grained authorization support is even provided for relationships, tools, actions, lenses, and fields.
- Custom Fields: Nova has a CLI to generate a custom field and take total control over its implementation and design.
- Scout search integration: use Laravel Scout for implementing search results integrated with Algolia and the cloud.
Houston, we have a problem!
Nova has some nice features for sure, it’s still not mature enough to be able to consider an administration dashboard builder for the following reasons:
- Nova has a quite complex structure which requires any developer to spend a good amount of time to understand it.
- It does not support auto updates or batches.
- it does not support enough methods to extend or customize the functionalities that come out of the box.
- it has one dashboard theme with no frontend themes included.
- it has no e-commerce or subscription support natively.
- No export function
- No HTML/CSS conditional customization of columns
- No distinctive sign to show required fields in forms
- Filters are less intuitive / less flexible
- No native support of revisions
- No native way to add buttons (per row notably)
Laravel Nova is a starter kit, you don’t expect it to install and start running your business the same day, because of its an administration builder tool, not a platform.
Laraship is still the Lead here!
Laraship is proud to be miles ahead of Nova, Developers who use Laraship found no trouble in getting up to speed easily and understanding the structure as its very similar to composer packages, also auto-updates is a nice feature to maintain your application and keep it up to date.
When buying Laraship, you will get a full solution, including Core Engine, Business Layer, and Frontend themes with many variations, fully integrated and compatible components.
Besides Laraship has already taken into consideration that non-developers can use the dashboard, so its easy for them to add custom fields for example from the administration screens, manage the menu items, cache management and configuration screen.